I definitely think belonging to a critique group (illustration group, writing group etc.) can help you move forward in your career. One of the many benefits of being part of a group is that you always have someone who can relate to your situation. If I have questions about the business, problems with a client, if I'm frustrated or struggle with the confidence in my own skills, or if I just want to celebrate reaching a goal I know I can turn to my illustration group - and I know they will understand because they have experienced the same things themselves. It makes me feel more secure knowing that I'm not completely alone, even though my colleagues live on the other side of the world.
If you'd like to be a part of a group why don't start one yourself? Contact a few others you know (or would like to know) and ask if they want to create a group with you. You won't regret it!
Monday, April 26, 2010
Monday, April 12, 2010
Most of us would love a few extra hours each day, wouldn't we? I don't think that will happen very soon, so lets focus on how we can save time in our daily routine. Here's my tips:
* Keep your e-mail program closed, and check it only a couple of times each day.
* Write a list over your tasks for the next day. This way you start each morning knowing exactly what to do that day, and you can start getting things done right away.
* Do you have a lot of things on your to-do list that you don't really want to do? Take a look at your list and cross of everything you don't really have to do (remember that you can say no when someone asks for a favor). Focus on what's important for you instead.
Thursday, April 8, 2010
Getting my creativity juices flowing with this book, Print & Pattern- a wonderful companion to the popular Print & Pattern blog. Thanks to Bowie Style for including me as one of the designers featured:
Also, I went back to NYC to see friends, family and the Tim Burton Exhibit at the MoMA.
Doing craft shows is also a wonderful inspiration; talking to fellow artists, seeing booth setups, the art of interacting with customers and or course, everyone's crafts. This was my table at the Blue House Ann Arbor show a few week ago.
Monday, April 5, 2010
A few things I got inspired by in March:
1. Easter and springtime! Finally the snow is gone and it's getting warmer. It makes me want to draw bright flowers and butterflies.
2. Looking at the process behind a book. I love getting a glimpse of all the work behind a final illustration.
3. The film Changeling. It's an amazing, true story - and I love the old fashioned costumes and cars.